Conference Schedule (subject to modification)
RESOLVING THE CRISIS IN SYRIA
A Conference Exploring the Dynamics of the Conflict,
Key Forces, Possible Solutions, and Future Scenarios
January 10-11, 2013
Thursday, January 10
Surviving the Syrian Civil War
A Roundtable Discussion on Civil Resistance & the Politics of Violence
5:00 PM – 6:30 PM | Arthur N. Gilbert Cyber Café, Ben Cherrington Hall
- Oliver Kaplan: Surviving the Syrian Civil War
- Kristen Gillespie: Respondent
- Tamra Pearson d’Estree: Moderator/Discussant
Friday, January 11
WELCOMING REMARKS – Nader Hashemi
9:15 AM | Sié 150
OPENING REMARKS – Ambassador Christopher R. Hill
9:20 AM | Sié 150
Regional & Geopolitical Dimensions of the Syrian Crisis
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM | Sié 150
- Amb. Christopher R. Hill: Political Outcomes for a Syrian Settlement
- Mohammed Ayoob: The Struggle for Syria: The New-Old Cold War in the Middle East
- Tom Farer: Assad’s Crimes and America’s Limits: Are There Lessons for US Foreign Policy to be Found Amid the Syrian Ruins?
Discussant/Moderator: Ved Nanda
The Assad Regime & the Evolving Dynamics of the Opposition
Who Supports Whom? What Do the Rebels Want?
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM | Sié 150
- Stephen Starr: Syria’s Societal Cleavages: Who Supports Whom?
- Thomas Pierret: The Islamization of the Syrian Revolution: Origins and Prospects
- Radwan Ziadeh: Revolution in Syria: The Struggle for Freedom in a Regional Battle
Discussant/Moderator: Erica Chenoweth
What Might a Post-Assad Syria Look Like?
Exploring Scenarios, Addressing Challenges
3:30 PM – 5:30 PM | Sié 150
- Joshua Landis: How to Think About the Syrian Endgame: Considering the Turkish, Iraqi, and Lebanese Models
- Rafif Jouejati: Beyond Assad: What’s Next for Syria?
Discussant/Moderator: Andrea Stanton
EVENING KEYNOTE PANEL
Solving the Syrian Crisis
What Are the Options/Possibilities?
7:30 PM – 9:30 PM | Davis Auditorium (Sturm Hall, 248)
- Kenneth Roth: What Should We Be Doing?
- Michael Ignatieff: When Assad Goes, Then What?
- Richard Falk: Syria: A Tragic Predicament?
- Rafif Jouejati: Respondent to the Panel
Discussant/Moderator: Nader Hashemi